blogphoto

blogphoto

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Directionless Travel





It was the Easter long-weekend and I was itching to get away.


I had a car, a map, some pocket money and no idea where to go or what to do.


I called three friends, who indicated that they too wanted to get away.

I told them to pack a bag and we agreed on a pick up time. 

The four of us then crammed into my small car, and decided to drive North. 


The trip served to be exactly what I needed.


Driving North towards Namibia

In the car and ready to go!

Steph, Allison, myself and Marina - Citrusdale

The first day we arrived in Citrusdale, a small-ish town that has citrus farming as their main industry. We stayed in a lovely lodge in a citrus grove.



Stopping for a peach

Fruit Stand
Fruit stand

Every day contained some sort of sweet offering in the form of an 
adventure. Our first day, we stumbled across hotsprings and soaked in the soothing warmth of the water.

Hotsprings


The next day we drove to Algeria (yes the area is actually called Algeria due to its similar appearance to the former French colony!) and took a stunning day hike to a waterfall and mountain lookout.


The road to Algeria

Hiking in Cedarburg

Hiking in Cedarburg


Oliphants River


Steph @ Waterfall



We stopped to switch drivers, still in our bathing suits. Feeling freer than I have in a long time, we got out and did an impromptu dance on the side of the road.


Sometimes you just need to get out and dance while switching drivers...

We then drove further North and then East to the ocean.
We saw seals and incredible ancient cave paintings.


A seal!

Cave Paintings

Dusky Cape Town pulled us back days later. The city slowly approached, the shadow-like deep blue mountain ranges unapologetically announcing the city.

Despite being disappointed that the vacation was over, I had the sense that I was coming back to a fairy-tale place. The Mother City continues to pull me to her and I have no choice but to allow her to wrap herself around me. 


Cape Town and her mountains in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment